I was in line at the drugstore today, stalled in front of a display of men's cologne, specifically British Sterling, English Leather and Canoe. Had to laugh. Those colognes were popular when I was a tot. In my mind, they were the epitome of sophistication.
What did I know. My dad's fragrance palette was functional only: Old Spice, Vitalis, Brylcream, Right Guard, and Listerine. And yes, worn all at once.
The smell of Right Guard takes me back to childhood faster than Proust and his cookie.
I'm surprised any of these brands have held on into a new millenium.
I'm not a cologne guy. Sure, I went through the obligatory artsy college student's brief romance with sandalwood and patchouli, but I don't think that went on my permanent record.
I don't really want to smell other men (nor women for that matter). At least not until I am up close.
Straight Guy, you don't wear cologne do you? Do you save it for special occasions when you are putting your spell on the ladies?
I can't say that wearing cologne is a stereotypically gay guy thing. My data is skewed. If Iam in a situation where a guy floats by on a cloud of CK1, I'm in a group of gay men, but that's about the only group of men I am ever in.
Incidentally, cologne could have been my friend if I had only let it. A guy I dated (and then some) wore lots of cologne. Even in moderation, this particular scent gave me a headache. A very specific sick headache. Like an icepick between my eyes. Eventually he too became a headache, like an icepick between my eyes. Shoulda smelled it coming.
Any help here folks? Cologne -- gay, straight, sexy, annoying? Leave a comment and let us know.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (195)
- Second Star to the Right and on 'til Mourning
- Brünö: Slapstick or Satire?
- Coasts Show Their Pride
- Over the Rainbow?
- Gay / Straight Friendship Advice: Thanks for Shari...
- It's not what you say but the way that you say it....
- Can't Stop Believin'
- National Man Day Coverage
- Euro Guy Look
- Waiter, There's a Hair in My Nachos con Carne
- Fox News: Judgemental? Skanky? Or, Both?
- National Man Day . . . Is There a Card for That?
- Straight Guy Hall of Badassery 2009, Vol 1
- Rock Out, Gay Idol!
- Last Night, Last Night: Showtune Showdown
- Straight Comics / Gay Comics
- Gay / Straight Advice: Friends or Frienemies?
- Beach Blanket Himbo?
- Cologne Zone: Gay Guy/Straight Guy Whiff?
- GBFS: Gay Best Friend Syndrome
- The Gay / Straight Update: June 2, 2009
- Smooth, Dude, Real Smooth
- Then This Happened: Brüno vs Eminem
- ▼ June (24)
- ► 2008 (148)