Can't Stop Believin'
OK, I know I'm not the only one who has this song on the brain this summer. It's everywhere.
The Journey song barely cracked the top 10 back in 1981, but picked up a lot of momentum two years ago when Tony Soprano selected it from the jukebox in the series' final scene.
After the Sopranos, it quickly popped up into iTunes top downloads category and has stayed there for over two years now. It's catchy enough, but it's resurgence has made it the most downloaded song from the 20th century (pre-2000). Is it that good? Well, Esquire Magazine recently named it the "greatest karaoke song of all time." On the other hand, Steve Perry and Journey haven't even been nominated for induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I bet they're raking in the cash without apologies, though.
Last month, the song was featured in the new Fox series, Glee (see above, or you can catch the whole episode on Hulu here.) FWIW, I caught the episode during my American Idol finale binge (how could I miss the thousand promos?), and thought it might be good for a GG/SG review when it begins its regular run in the fall. Though it looks it, it's no High School Musical: When the new glee club teacher can't convince the quarterback to perform with "Homo Explosion" (as it's known around the school), he plants drugs (acquired from a disgraced teacher accused of mollesting students) in the QB's locker and uses a suspension as leverage. How's that for motivation?
Credit where credit is due... Apparently Petra Hayden and the Sell Outs have been doing a very similar a capella version for years now. It's also been retooled for the Broadway musical, "Rock of Ages." Anyone seen that?
My problem, is that I'm liking it more than I'd like to. Anyone sharing my pleasure and/or pain? Anyone (else) willing to admit to being 1 of 2,000,000 downloads?
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (195)
- Second Star to the Right and on 'til Mourning
- Brünö: Slapstick or Satire?
- Coasts Show Their Pride
- Over the Rainbow?
- Gay / Straight Friendship Advice: Thanks for Shari...
- It's not what you say but the way that you say it....
- Can't Stop Believin'
- National Man Day Coverage
- Euro Guy Look
- Waiter, There's a Hair in My Nachos con Carne
- Fox News: Judgemental? Skanky? Or, Both?
- National Man Day . . . Is There a Card for That?
- Straight Guy Hall of Badassery 2009, Vol 1
- Rock Out, Gay Idol!
- Last Night, Last Night: Showtune Showdown
- Straight Comics / Gay Comics
- Gay / Straight Advice: Friends or Frienemies?
- Beach Blanket Himbo?
- Cologne Zone: Gay Guy/Straight Guy Whiff?
- GBFS: Gay Best Friend Syndrome
- The Gay / Straight Update: June 2, 2009
- Smooth, Dude, Real Smooth
- Then This Happened: Brüno vs Eminem
- ▼ June (24)
- ► 2008 (148)