Just One More Day

Straight Guy,

As you know, I am incredibly excited about tomorrow's inauguration. Both as a Dem and as a gay man. My hopes for the Obama administration are high. Maybe too high. You'll have to remind me to be patient.

Obama's acceptance speech at the convention in August made me believe that he can really help America be the best it can be.

We're already seeing the difference between running for president and being the president. This is where single-issue politics suck, and why I try not to subscribe to them. Obama's made some missteps of late with the gay and lesbian community. You know the inauguration invocation flop.

I am keeping the faith and hope, and holding on for dear life to Obama's acceptance speech especially this one small portion:
"I know there are differences on same-sex marriage, but surely we can agree that our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters deserve to visit the person they love in the hospital and to live lives free of discrimination. . . This too is part of America's promise - the promise of a democracy where we can find the strength and grace to bridge divides and unite in common effort."

It's just a sentence. But I feel more seen and more likely to get my place at the table than I have for the past eight years, that's for sure. My people at least made our way into the acceptance speech. People actually know that the inaugural invocation matters. Here's crossing my frozen little fingers for tomorrow. (Weather folks say chance of snow and just below freezing. I'll huddle for warmth.)


--Gay Guy

No comments:

Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive