Frequent reader and commenter Straight in Upstate read your January 4 post about Jessica Alba being "photochopped" for the 2009 Campari calendar and asked, "What is Campari?" I came online to get a description of Campari. In addition, I found this very intriguing commercial:
Don't worry Straight Guy, it looks like there is a Salma Hayek Campari ad just for you.
If I had known how much "chase me, chase me, change me, change me" I could wrench from a glass of Campari, I would have tried one sooner. Mostly, I wanted to cross it off my list of literary potent potables. Characters in novels by Virgina Woolf to Thomas Wolfe to the uber-macho Hemingway are always drinking aperitifs. FYI: Campari tastes like a combination of cough syrup, quinine, and chalk. I suspect it was created to ward off malaria.
Back to the commercial: I thought the two faun-like people were both women, so at least the dude offered some element of surprise. I'm a sucker for the tension between the hidden and the revealed. Sometimes the hidden is more exciting and the reveal is a let down. Which brings us back to our recent posts about gay/straight guys and their undies.
Straight Guy, I don't think gay guys really fall for the kind of titillation in this commercial. I fell for the aesthetic and the architecture of the location. Do Straight Guys find this stuff seductive?
"Yes" to Salma (check her out seducing Alec Baldwin currently on 30 Rock). "No" to everything else. Campari looks like the weird red syrup at IHOP to me.
-- Straight Guy
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (195)
- Getting Straight Guys to Read the Romance Classics...
- Straight Guy Pop Culture Round-Up
- Straight Guy Loves His Mac... Not That There's Any...
- Inauguration Nation
- Sweet Day
- And in With the New
- Yes We Can
- Just One More Day
- In the Lap of Luxury
- Is That a Finial on Your Curtain Rod? Or Are You J...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: They Just Can't Help It
- The Best of Gay 2008: Because Gay.Com Tells Me So
- Giving Hope to Geeks, Too
- Joy of Sex: The Little Cookbook of Straight Life, ...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Campari, The Gay, Straight,...
- Gay Underwear/Straight Underwear: A Brief Post
- Is He Gay or Straight?: Underwear Test
- Does This Yoga Mat Make Me Look Gay?
- Gay Straight Ad Watch: Photo-Chopped
- More 2008 Stats
- ▼ January (20)
- ► 2008 (148)