A reader sent a link to this hilarious New Yorker review of the overhauled Joy of Sex. (The article has a graphic of a breast; it's completely benign, but you decide if it is NSFW.)
The new Joy of Sex, out in stores this week, updates what would seem to defy being updated. When it comes to sex, is there anything new for which to be joyful? (This is an example of a rhetoric question, SG. I don't really require an answer.) At least one thing is different: the male figure in the 1972 illustrations looked frightening --picture the Geico Caveman. The new man looks more like that nice looking guy who works down the hall in the finance office. Just with a better haircut.
Finding the Joy of Sex in my parents' nightstand drawer was worse than finding out that, well, that Dad ate the cheese and crackers we left for Santa.
Thanks, GG. I really needed a resource like this when I was growing up. Like many straight boys, I got wildly inaccurate information from my playground chums followed by gentle corrections from my mother. Once, while running a few errands with her, I asked what the word "genitalia" meant, and the floodgates of unwelcome information opened. We were probably only 5 minutes from home, but I'm sure she drove many miles out of her way, just to get it all out while I was a captive audience. I think I slept in the car that night.
As to the fact that Gay Guy left cheese and crackers (!) for Santa... of course he did. Sugar cookies are so... gauche. This year, he left a tapas sampler with microwave instructions as well as a chilled cava.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (195)
- Getting Straight Guys to Read the Romance Classics...
- Straight Guy Pop Culture Round-Up
- Straight Guy Loves His Mac... Not That There's Any...
- Inauguration Nation
- Sweet Day
- And in With the New
- Yes We Can
- Just One More Day
- In the Lap of Luxury
- Is That a Finial on Your Curtain Rod? Or Are You J...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: They Just Can't Help It
- The Best of Gay 2008: Because Gay.Com Tells Me So
- Giving Hope to Geeks, Too
- Joy of Sex: The Little Cookbook of Straight Life, ...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Campari, The Gay, Straight,...
- Gay Underwear/Straight Underwear: A Brief Post
- Is He Gay or Straight?: Underwear Test
- Does This Yoga Mat Make Me Look Gay?
- Gay Straight Ad Watch: Photo-Chopped
- More 2008 Stats
- ▼ January (20)
- ► 2008 (148)