Things Straight Guy Hates Immediately: Ice Dancing Edition

Gay Guy,

Believe it or not, these are not a couple of wannabes from some half-assed local ice capades show. Meet Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin, the Russian favorites to win gold in this year's Olympic ice dancing competition. I don't know them, or know very much about them, but I don't like them.

I came across a story about them in this morning's Washington Post. Seems there is some controversy about whether this Aboriginal-themed routine is culturally insensitive. Of course it is. Let's not look to ice dancers (Russian or not) for insight into the native cultures of faraway lands. My problem is that I can tell from a single photo that the routine is also offensive in terms of self-indulgence. These two don't really care about anything but the spotlight and the applause.

2nd proof point on tastelessness: A quick youtube search revealed that another routine of theirs is themed to The Matrix and performed in sunglasses and back plastic costumes under green spotlights. Ugh. Don't make me dig any deeper, please.

Yeah, I know I covered this ground in an earlier post on my hater's view of interpretive dance, and all the same rules and logic apply. I can easily avoid that in my normal day-to-day routine, but the annoying way NBC edits its Olympics telecast will probably force me to sit through a few of these routines. And I won't like it.

I understand that the topic (figure skating and ice dancing) can get me into some dangerous territory on gay/straight stereotypes. I'm sure some of our readers are fans. Don't get me wrong. I know it's not easy and the training is intense. I'm not advocating for the complete separation of art and athletics. And I'm certainly not beyond reproach on some of the outfits I slap together. But c'mon, if you're an elite skater trying to knock my socks off with gimmicks and outlandish attire rather than your stronger, higher, faster routine... think again. Let's keep the focus on athletics when a gold medal is at stake.

No one wants to see "Dockers On Ice," but is anyone really surprised that the over-the-top indulgence of ice dancing could lead to an aesthetic tragedy like this?

--Straight Guy

8 comments:

Straight in Upstate said...

I thought Tim Burton was choreographing an ice-dancing interpretation of the Oompa Loompahs from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Spot said...

Aborigines, huh? I just thought they were going for the Avatar look. And sice they have a Matrix themed routine it would make perfect sense. Although they might want to make the costumes blue instead of brown. And the looks on their faces?? I might have nightmares now.

Totally agree...I love the ice skating but not all the retarded costumes. I want to see triple lutzes and leaps, not flash and pomp.

♥Spot

Betsy said...

I'm secure enough in my figure skating fandom to agree that many costumes are silly and painful to look at. People like Johnny Weir give the sport a bad name and help to perpetuate every gay stereotype ever imagined over the sport. I didn't actually see the ice dance routine in question by this couple but yes, those costumes are ridiculous.

BosGuy said...

Yes, this GG also is not a fan of such shows.

Jen said...

I want to see Dockers on Ice, at least it's a little more relatable. I don't know any aborigines. Maybe they dress differently in Russia?

Tinkerschnitzel said...

Those costumes are hideous. I think ice skating and dancing should go back to its roots and focus on the athleticism. Maybe they really suck and are using the costumes to detract from any mistakes they make?

Unknown said...

I have nominated your blog a Kreative Blogger Award.

No pressure on participating on the meme but it would be fun.

m. said...

Aborigines don't even dress like that.

Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive