Gay Guy and I went to a college basketball game over the weekend. We root for the same team (yes, yes, yes we do!) and have lucked into some nice seats over the years.
We were talking about the blog with one of our readers during the game (not a perk we can share very often) and he suggested that I put up a post about my numerous complaints. OK. But I really did have a good time. Just a few things I can't overlook...
(1) Men's basketball shorts are now officially ridiculous. They've gotten long (well below the knee!), droopy, and loose. Let me just say it: they wear like a skirt. Or is "culottes" the right word? Maybe I'm a crank, but how is that cool, exactly? And don't bore me with talk of "street cred." It's obviously a case of choosing form over function. True athletes care more about the game than about how they look when they play. I'm not advocating a return to the short-shorts of Dr. J and Larry Bird, but the current model will look just as silly with 20 years of perspective. But hey, if anyone can explain to me how the game is better played with the extra weight, drag, and distraction of the long shorts, then I'm all ears.
(2) The male cheerleaders are hopeless. Well, the ones we saw, anyway. I admit it's a tough spot... that they look like fools if they care too much and like idiots if they lazily phone it in. Look, if you only signed up for the squad to be around girls, that's not a bad decision. But when the lights go down and it's time to dance, you better effing dance your straight-boy heart out, or stay on the sidelines. Likewise, if you're there to put on a tumble and dance show, and could care less about boosting the girls up by their heinies, then you better seem concerned about the score, and appear to understand the game that makes this whole scenario possible. Just saying.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Things Straight Guy Hates Immediately: Ice Dancing...
- Too Much Soy Makes a Gay Boy
- Hardcore Punks: Noddin' Their Heads Like Yeah!
- The Basketball Diatribes
- Gay Guy to Bigot: Interesting Word Choice with 'Ba...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Wrangling Wild Animals
- Gay/Straight Update: Onion Outs Fundamentalist Tee...
- Naked Truth
- Sweet Video Clip
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Enjoy Your Nature
- Battle of the Gays?
- Gay/Straight Hall of Shame: Creatures Stirring and...
- Gay Guy Catches Up: The Post That Wasn't
- Gay/Straight TV Watch: Meat and Greet
- ▼ January (14)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)