Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Enjoy Your Nature
I think straight guys' fascination with lesbians (or the hint of girl/girl action) is unique in the animal kingdom. I just can't imagine that there are bulls in the pasture who would thrill at the thought of two heifers getting it on. It really is an abstraction that's hard to defend.
These commercials aren't wrong, exactly, just idiotic. And homophobic? Does "It's different" mean "It's wrong"?
Of course, no one is interested seeing two schlubby dudes dance awkwardly or oil each other up. But I'm sure there is an audience for the guy/guy dynamic if it's cast correctly. Oceans 11 - 13 anyone?
Maybe there are some straight women who could be entertained (and marketed to) with a little bromantic teasing. "Will they or won't they?!?" I just don't think there's the same intensity when the equation is flipped. Please let us know.
Any sociologists out there who can dig a little deeper on this?
Any new readers who missed the GG/SG discussion on the Girls Gone Wild double standard (girls allowed to experiment, guys labeled forever) can check out these earlier posts. Link. Link.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Things Straight Guy Hates Immediately: Ice Dancing...
- Too Much Soy Makes a Gay Boy
- Hardcore Punks: Noddin' Their Heads Like Yeah!
- The Basketball Diatribes
- Gay Guy to Bigot: Interesting Word Choice with 'Ba...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Wrangling Wild Animals
- Gay/Straight Update: Onion Outs Fundamentalist Tee...
- Naked Truth
- Sweet Video Clip
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Enjoy Your Nature
- Battle of the Gays?
- Gay/Straight Hall of Shame: Creatures Stirring and...
- Gay Guy Catches Up: The Post That Wasn't
- Gay/Straight TV Watch: Meat and Greet
- ▼ January (14)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)