Gay/Straight Ad Watch: WTF, FAO?
Classy, Mr. Schwarz, very classy.
Took me a few moments to get this campaign... See, the kid in the red shirt has an official FAO teddy bear, so all of his rambunctious urges (even the hormonal ones) have been suppressed. Hmmm...
"Better rewards, better kid." That's the slogan. Why not just go with "everyone has their price," or, more succinctly, "rich kids are better than poor kids"? Sure. Because all the evidence proves that kids who have been rewarded/spoiled with toys are always the most enjoyable to be around, as are the parents who try hardest to buy their child's love with material things.
We'd never stand for a "Better rewards, better wives" campaign... so how is this OK? (Though I admit that those holiday-themed diamond ads which hint that buying the right bracelet just might get you laid are not the feminist ideal either.)
Obviously they are going for an old-school Goofus/Gallant vibe (including a "Highlights" reference). But does anyone else catch a whiff of a straight/gay dynamic here, or am I reaching? Bad, straight boys, bad!
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (195)
- Straight Except for One Guy
- More Pilgrims' Progress
- Gay Guy Mayflower Madness
- Gay Guy/Straight Guy Furniture Tastes Clash
- Gay/Straight Update: Saturday & Sunday Night Live
- Modelling Behavior?
- Oh, Crepe!
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: What a Bum!
- Beer Test
- GG/SG: Now in Our Third Year
- Feeling Like Crepe?
- What is Marriage?
- Meat Markets...
- Gay/Straight Hall of Shame: (Rated) X-Men
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: WTF, FAO?
- Out of the Woods, Into a Show
- New Trunks for Your Junk
- Gay Guy/Straight Guy Dilemna: Underwear Ads Where ...
- OK, Adam Lambert, We Get It!
- Ad Watch: Gay and/or Straight Ads and Commercials
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: The Closet (x2)
- ▼ November (21)
- ► 2008 (148)