Last fall, I mentioned the term "MILF" to Gay Guy, and he puzzled for a few moments before it clicked. I understand that GG has no use for the term in a literal sense. And I admit that I've aged out of the demographic of applicable and ironic use myself. (If anyone is still in the dark on this: "Mom I'd Like to..." First made popular, I believe, in regards to the character known only as Stiffler's Mom in "American Pie").
Yes, it's course and just another form of male objectification. But who uses the F word literally except porn stars and Dick Cheyney? Even if it is taken at face value, there's a compliment in there somewhere, right? It's certainly less offensive than the other circulating alternative, "Yummy Mommy" which seems childish and gross. "Cougars" are the flip-side of the coin, older women on the prowl for young guys.
Obviously sexy women who have kids are not a new phenomenon. But the classification is becoming mainstream. Don't doubt it: Will and Jada Smith are developing a sitcom called "MILF and Cookies," Courtney Cox will soon premier "Cougar Town."
The term MILF implies maturity –– if not sophistication –– and nothing about the woman's morality. "Cougar" seems to imply the opposite, no? One is passive, while the other is predatory. It's a matter of perspective, right?
If youth-based pop-culture is finding mature women to be sexier than before, that's healthy, I assume. And if new cougar Madonna (at 50+) wants to start dating 20 something models, it's the same thing that rich men have been doing (and getting grief for) for years.
Readers, let me know. MILF: crude but complimentary? Cougar: less raw, but more insulting, right?
Also, can this have possibly gone any worse for the ultra-serious Moro Islamic Liberation Front? Good luck with your web domains, dudes.
I'll leave you with a recent SNL skit featuring Cameron Diaz and Alec Baldwin as a "Cougay." (Still doubt that this stuff is mainstream? Note that Baldwin also plays the executive on 30 Rock who champions the show-within-a-show: "MILF Island.")
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (195)
- Straight Guy Gift Guide, Day 4: Cheeseburger Mini
- More on Jane Austen and the Zombies: Gay/Straight ...
- Fear and Loathing in Las Locker Room
- Showered. With Attention.
- Straight Guy Gift Guide, Day 3: Sex Doll Raincoat
- Couch Potato. Plus a Couch Lamb Chop With a Side o...
- Straight Guy Gift Guide, Day 2: Dress for Dinner N...
- Straight Guy Gift Guide: Chopsticks Aid
- Lame Straight Stereotype Proves True: Hot Cars = H...
- Hair Styles That Are a Cut Above: Where Gay Men an...
- Don't Get Fresh With Me
- Gays, Straights, and Our Exes: Do We Really Need T...
- Gay / Straight Haircuts: Dues for your "Do"
- Swing and a Miss: Getting Hit On by the Wrong Team...
- Gay or Straight: Strut Your Stuff. But Only If You...
- Great Moments in Straight Guy Fashion: Members Onl...
- Gay Guy / Straight Guy Bad Idea Award: Fireshaving...
- Straight Guys: Predictable, But Not Hopeless
- How Do YOU Roll? Gay/Straight Car Survey
- Straight, But Gay on Craigslist. Thanks, Honey!
- Mainstreaming MILFs and Cougars
- Men in Tights...
- Circumcision: Slice of (Boy's) Life
- Gay Weddings, Straight Weddings: Does it (Gift) Re...
- "Share a Taste?": Gay/Straight Fork in the Road?
- ▼ March (25)
- ► 2008 (148)