Couch Potato. Plus a Couch Lamb Chop With a Side of Green Beans.

Straight Guy,

Your post today (see below) about the bibs for adult men prompts a confession from me: I eat dinner on the sofa. While watching TV.

I swore I would never eat dinner on the sofa. There was something I just didn't like about it. It wasn't just the potential for stains, it said single to me.

You can tell where this story is going.

I used to be good at eating at the dining table only. My sofa looked like it had been just delivered. Nice firm cushions. Then I got a TV . . . more accurately YOU got me a TV. Little by little, I started eating all my dinners on the sofa while watching TV.

So far, I've managed to avoid any stain disasters, but I know it's just a matter of time. Plus, I watch a lot of TV now. My sofa cushions are starting to pooch in where I sit. The evidence is clear.

So, I am really trying to eat dinner at the dining table only. And, with no TV on. Only with music and the New Yorker.

I know that the habit of eating on the sofa is neither gay, nor straight, but I would be interested in getting some feedback.

Readers: Do you eat on the sofa? Leave a comment and let me know.

--Gay Guy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. Today I ate Chinese food on the couch while watcing As the World Turns on the internet.

PS I just starting reading this blog and it cracks me up!

Gay Guy said...

Welcome, mixingchemicals. Please keep coming back. I'll be reading you, too.

As the World Turns! I watched that with my mom when I was just a tater tot, before I even started school. Mom ironed. I figured out what adultery was. Something for everyone.

Did As the World Turns make me gay. Totally possible. My crush on the brothers Dan and David. . . deep sigh.

Anonymous said...

I think the eating-on-the-couch-while-watching-TV thing is a being single issue.

When there is more than one person around, then it makes more sense to sit at the table and interact with the significant other (or company, for that matter).

When you are by yourself, it just becomes multitasking (as one who eats dinner while watching Jeopardy).

Anonymous said...

Husband and I eat on the couch. A lot. While watching teevee. Does this mean we are secretly single?

Anonymous said...

I've lost track of the last time I ate sitting at the dining table. I eat either on the sofa or at my desk in my home office.

Gay Guy said...

I ate dinner at the dining table Thursday. We'll see how long I can keep this up.

kathryn said...

GG: Here's a possible compromise....what if you can see the teevee from the dining room table? I do think it's a matter of being entertained...and if you're eating alone, that leaves teevee, or reading material. Staring off into space is NOT an option, at least not for me.

Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive