I don't know if you caught any NFL games yesterday, but if you did, you probably noticed that the players were wearing flourishes of hot pink on their uniforms. No, this is not standard issue, and please don't let your imagination run wild.
This is part of the Crucial Catch campaign. The NFL is "proud to support the fight against breast cancer. Our campaign, 'A Crucial Catch', in partnership with the American Cancer Society, is focused on the importance of annual screenings, especially for women who are 40 and older. Throughout October, NFL games will feature players, coaches and referees wearing pink game apparel, on-field pink ribbon stencils, special game balls and pink coins - all to help raise awareness for this important campaign."
It works. The pink, which is not a part of any team's regular color scheme, definitely stands out. If you want to get some of this gear, like say a hot pink Peyton Manning jersey, they've set up a special on-line store. Proceeds go to the cause.
Good for them. Hopefully there wasn't too much locker room grumbling from anyone too insecure to get pinkified. It only works because it's unexpected. Way to leverage those gender stereotypes, NFL. Seriously.
I, for one, am happy to help push some attention their way. Here's the link to the ACS site, where you can get more information or make a donation. If you want to "make it interesting" you can pledge $1 for every point your team scores.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Not Just Another Day at the Mall
- More on It Gets Better: True Colors
- Where's the Party?
- Product Watch: We Did Not Ask for Special Kleenex
- Gay Meets Straight: Punch Line or Sucker Punch?
- Are You There, David Lynch? It's Me, Gay Guy.
- Announcing: Gay Ads | Straight Ads
- Straight Guy Somewhere Writes Some Kind of Headlin...
- Straight Guys Ruin Everything: Glee
- Viral Video: Alec Baldwin Asks, Had Enough? Fight ...
- To Love, Honor, and -- Most Definitely -- Obey
- Things Straight Guy Hates Immediately: Lip Balm Ed...
- Straight Guy Surrenders, Interweb Wins... Again
- Update on It Gets Better: Gay Guy/Straight Guy Adv...
- Hall of Badassery: You Might Die, But It Might Be ...
- Gay/Straight Advice: It Gets Better
- Gay Meets Straight: Tips for Strips
- Ad Watch: Everyone's Gay In Amsterdam... Deal With...
- Go A Little Bit Crazy: Ozz v. Phelps
- Reader Survey: If I Only Had a Voice
- Not My Gay-List Life
- NFL: Pretty(?) in Pink
- ▼ October (22)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)