Both GG and SG were in attendance at the "Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear" on the National Mall today. Given the hundreds of thousands of others on the scene, I'm not surprised that we didn't run into each other. (The view above is GG looking north, I'm somewhere near the columns in the far background.)
We tried, but cell phones, texting, and tweeting were no gos -- not enough bandwidth for that crowd. I was blocks from the main stage and couldn't really see or hear that well. I finally got within range for the last half hour. I recorded the whole thing on my DVR at home and will need to catch up on a lot of the content... but John Stewart's main point was clear. You can't trust the noise in our current political/media environment: "If we amplify everything, we hear nothing," he said.
Stewart and Colbert are comedians first, so the tone was mostly lighthearted. The audience's signs were a study in sarcasm, irony, and absurdity. A few notables:
- God Hates This Sign
- You're Angry as Hell...and I'm Not Going to Take It Anymore!
- Ideas I Disagree With May Still Be Constitutional
- Speak Native American Or Get Out!
- I'm Only Here for the Gangbang
- I Made A Sign (But That Doesn't Make My Points Any More Valid Than Yours)
- Homophobia is so Gay!
- I've Been a Bad, Bad Penis [SG note: may or may not have been rally related]
- Underpants are Oppressive! Down With Zippers! (photo above)