Stayed home today to have my heating unit serviced. To make it so the service tech could do his magic, I cleaned out the closet that the heating unit is in. Not only did I cross an overdue chore off my list, I was reacquainted with my tool collection. I say collection since it spills out of the tool box.
I like having tools. Tools are cool. No one has as many as my dad or takes such loving care of them as he does -- my parents' basement is like a tool museum. But I have as many or more tools as the average condo-dweller. A few hammers, a range of pliers, several sizes of screwdrivers, a drill and a kick-ass set of drill bits. A half dozen old jelly jars filled with left over screws, nuts, bolts, picture wire. Can I repeat that I love that drill bit set even though I've never needed to use them.
I don't understand why some people --male or female -- don't have any tools at all. I don't expect people to own a circular saw, but for Pete's sake, how about a hammer? In truth, my ability to fix things is limited, but I do like having tools.
Tools are generally considered a straight guy thing, right. This might be among the few really straight things about this gay guy. It's an unfair stereotype. I think it might be more a house dweller/apartment dweller, owner/renter issue. I prefer old-timey hardware stores, but will go to Home Depot, etc., if I find myself near one. Depending on its location, I'll see a significant number of gay men in there.
Final confession: I am still proud of the straight A's that I got in 7th and 8th grade shop class, even decades later. I have happy memories of shop class.
Gay guys, straight guys, men, women . . . How many tools do you have? Shop class: Nightmare or pleasure? Leave a comment and let us know.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (195)
- New Year's Resoutions: No Spare Change
- Gay/Straight Debate: A Few of Our Favorite Things
- Gay Guy Says: Man, Don't Give Me That Same Old Li...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Holiday Edition
- Capital Christmas: DC Allows Same Sex Marriage
- Manscaping Takes No Christmas Break
- Gay/Straight Holiday Gift Guide: Hot Calendars for...
- Gay/Straight Grooming Alert: Beware the Clawz!
- The Interview, the Whole Interview, and Nothing bu...
- Gay Guy's Closet: Tool not Tulle
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Sex Sells and Anything Goes...
- He Said, He Said: The Gay Guy / Straight Guy Inter...
- Gay/Straight Singer Debate: Divas vs....
- Gay Student Refuses to Skirt the Issue
- Wordle from Our Recent Posts, No Surprises
- Straight Guy Surrenders, Internet Wins (again)
- Fallen Angels
- Gay/Straight Viral Video: Body Double
- No More, Mr. Fancypants
- ▼ December (19)
- ► 2008 (148)