Road Trip with Parents: Day Two.
Day Two is not as serene as day one. Not that anything bad has happened, it's just that there are some worn nerves. Mine. Maybe everyone's.
I'm just realizing what a mumbler my father has become. Was he always one? He's a soft speaker to boot. My mother is something of a soft-speaking mumbler, too, but not nearly as bad as dad. Add that my father's hearing is fading. So, mom's in the back seat of the car, dad's driving, the air conditioning blowing, and so they have to keep asking each other to repeat themselves. "What? What? What did you say?" I'm the interpreter.
When I can understand them, I've found that my parents now read aloud road signs and whatever they see out the window. As in, "Applebees. Olive Garden. Arbee's. 35 miles an hour. Coin operated laundry." Just one long string of nouns looking for a verb and a purpose.
Our gay/straight moment of the day: My dad asked if Mark Sanford is still governor of South Carolina, or if he had stepped down after his very public admission of having an affair -- some of it on the state's dime. I went on a petite tirade about Sanford's hypocrisy: He opposes marriage equality for gays and lesbians because we'd bring down the straight marriage property values. Sanctity of marriage must be protected, etc. I put out there that I think no one could bring down the institution of marriage any faster than the adulterous Mark Sanford himself. Governor "Marriage Should be Between One Man and One Woman . . . With a Few Other Women Sandwiched in Between."
It's always the finger-pointers. I just love when the finger-pointing, conservative, Republican prick who opposes gay marriage on moral grounds gets caught in his own moral trap. As a gay man, Sanford et. al would say that my morals are questionable but I can show the governor how a zipper works. I'm so pissed that the death of the King of Pop pushed Sanford off the front page.
My parents maintained silence.
Now that I think of it, Mark Sanford should blame gay marriage for corroding the moral bedrock of his marriage. Blame gay marriage for everything, like in this old but still wonderful video, It's All Because (The Gay are Getting Married)."
Be patient with my blogging. I'm in a state park on the side of a mountain and internet is spotty at best.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (195)
- Homo Depot?
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Is That a Wide-Angle Lens O...
- Finally, A Wardrobe Malfunction That a Gay Guy Can...
- Straight Guy Hall of Badassery: No Fear Edition
- HBO is Gayest TV
- My Blog Broke My Boyfriend: Gay Guy Lament
- To Love, Honor, and Shake What Your Momma Gave You...
- Family Road Trip Muscles Through to the End
- The Gay/Straight Roomate Debate
- Stockholm Syndrome: Straight Guy is 99% Gay
- GG/SG Adwatch: Matchbox Boys and Their Toys
- Family Reunion Surprise: When the Party's Not a Pa...
- On the Road With Gay Guy and His Parents: Day Two
- Straight Guy Hall of Badassery: Newsbrief
- "Straightening Up" the Apartment? A Gay Guy's Guid...
- Straight Guy Hall of Shame: Tit for Tat
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Straight Guys Ruin Everythi...
- Nest Wrecking Hurts Everyone, Linda! Gay/Straight ...
- Straight Guys / Gay Movie
- Gaydar Check Needed on Straight Marriage Proposal
- Michael Jackson's Orientation?: "I'm Not Like Othe...
- Mrs. Slocombe: Yes, We Were Served, Thank You : A ...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Miller "Innovations" Suppre...
- Camp Camp
- Gay Guy/Staight Guy Gym Class: Spin Me Round Like ...
- MJ Tribute
- ▼ July (26)
- ► 2008 (148)