Check out these print ads (click to enlarge) from camera manufacturer Omax. They might not make sense until you see the set of three, all selling wide-angle lenses.
Ha. Ha. I get it. We (straight guys) aren't really interested in photographing landscapes, animals, or skylines. We just want to capture topless sunbathers, cleavage, and booty shots without anyone noticing us. I'm glad we connected on this, Omax, and since you've labeled me as a stalkerish pervert, I'm eager to purchase your products.
Sarcasm off. Look, I know that sex sells, and that a certain amount of objectification is the price we pay to make that system work. I've never been in a bebe store (or even know how to pronounce it... bee-bee or bay-bay?) but I am brand-loyal to them because they regularly update the bus stop shelter I pass every day. What will it be today, bebe? Classy, sassy, or skanky?
But am I wrong in thinking that Omax crosses a line here? That objectification is one thing when bebe, the model, and I are all in on the deal. But it's another thing to promote stealing secret shots of unknowing subjects -- no matter how hot they are, right?
So, I think I'll take my business elsewhere, Omax.
Nikon, Olympus, what new products do you have to offer? And how will you communicate their benefits?
Oh, jeez. Readers, why must camera companies advertise through visual puns which probably go to far? More is better... Auto focus... Get it? Ugh.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (195)
- Homo Depot?
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Is That a Wide-Angle Lens O...
- Finally, A Wardrobe Malfunction That a Gay Guy Can...
- Straight Guy Hall of Badassery: No Fear Edition
- HBO is Gayest TV
- My Blog Broke My Boyfriend: Gay Guy Lament
- To Love, Honor, and Shake What Your Momma Gave You...
- Family Road Trip Muscles Through to the End
- The Gay/Straight Roomate Debate
- Stockholm Syndrome: Straight Guy is 99% Gay
- GG/SG Adwatch: Matchbox Boys and Their Toys
- Family Reunion Surprise: When the Party's Not a Pa...
- On the Road With Gay Guy and His Parents: Day Two
- Straight Guy Hall of Badassery: Newsbrief
- "Straightening Up" the Apartment? A Gay Guy's Guid...
- Straight Guy Hall of Shame: Tit for Tat
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Straight Guys Ruin Everythi...
- Nest Wrecking Hurts Everyone, Linda! Gay/Straight ...
- Straight Guys / Gay Movie
- Gaydar Check Needed on Straight Marriage Proposal
- Michael Jackson's Orientation?: "I'm Not Like Othe...
- Mrs. Slocombe: Yes, We Were Served, Thank You : A ...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Miller "Innovations" Suppre...
- Camp Camp
- Gay Guy/Staight Guy Gym Class: Spin Me Round Like ...
- MJ Tribute
- ▼ July (26)
- ► 2008 (148)