Need your straight perspective.
I was once again on the receiving end of what I call "gay amnesia."
Here's what happened: A friend and I were in line at the drug store, and right behind us is a guy I see every day. My finely tuned gaydar tells me he's my people, but this is only an untested theory. He must live and work near me: He gets on the bus one stop after me every work day, transfers at the same stop and gets off at the same stop. Plus I see him out at lunch time.
Back to the drug store: While I slowly inched forward in the line, I said "hi" to him or nodded and smiled at him. He gave me that look that says, "I've never seen you before --Who are you and why do you recognize me?"
This happens to me a lot. I admit to being hyper-observant and thus might have unreasonable expectations for memories to light the corners of other people's minds. Usually, I don't take it personally. It's not a friend; it's some guy on the same bus schedule or someone who works out at the same time as me or whatever.
Why does this bug me? I truly don't want anything in return. I don't expect to make a friend or have a chat or act like long-lost buddies. I'm not hitting on them. I just want a little silent recognition and acknowledgment. A little nod that says, "Oh, I recognize you from the gym and, gee whiz, there you are strolling down the sidewalk."
So I need to know, SG, is "gay amnesia" a:
--Figment of my imagination?
--DNA social tick unique to my people?
--General guy thing?
--Sign of my unreasonable expectations that there's a happy gay village inside the big straight city?
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (195)
- Collect All 50!
- Respondez S'il Vous Gay or Straight
- Straight Guy Hall of Shame: Summertime Edition
- Good Try, Mr. Chips
- "Do Your Believe that Marraige Should Only Take Pl...
- Straight Guys Delaying Economic Rebound
- Going for Broke -- Morally and Financially
- The Family Circus Has Subtext?!?!
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Flings and Little Gays
- Gay Guy is Back Online!
- So Many Options, So Little Time
- First Rule of Straight Guy Club: You Do Not Talk A...
- Rock On, Gay Idol
- Amnesia On Demand: Gay Thing or Guy Thing?
- Dom DeLuise, Never the Straightman
- Pope's Posse: Adding Some Miss to the Swiss
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Hot Sex Sells
- Niagra Falls for My People, Too: Gays Get Honeymoo...
- ▼ May (19)
- ► 2008 (148)