Great job on your 1/29 post on finding the "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" book. I don't know how you find this stuff.
I'm a big (Zombie-free) Austen fan. I know the Austen canon is considered girls' books, but I love them. (I draw the line at Alcott's "Little Women," don't worry. There are some places that Gay Guy may never go for fear of no exit.) Yes, Austen's books focus on women but they have gems for everyone: How do we see and experience the world? Do we see correctly? Can we trust the reliability of what others tell us? Or do we trust ourselves only? Great questions for all of us.
Most of the men in Austen's books have a powerful, yet clueless, lovable buffoon/prick side to them. Hey. . . maybe they really are zombies in those books.
Plus Austen is still damn funny. Society hasn't changed much in 200 years.
Do you remember --of course you don't, what was I thinking -- that last year PBS ran a series of all the Austen novels. It was hit or miss. The web site is still up. Just because it's sooooo hilarious, check out the teen dream interactive space on the site. Scroll drown a bit on the home page and you find the "Men of Austen." You can read all about them as if they were real and on a reality TV show like Amazing Race. Best of all, you can vote for your favorite Austen man.
We've kept our site clean and non-politcal, but can I please campaign for Edward Ferrars (Sense & Sensibility) or Edmund Bertram (Mansfield Park) for the 19th century Tiger Beat favorite. Please not that drone of Mr. Darcy. This site is one click away from feeling like voting for which of the Jonas Brothers is cutest. Not that I have an opinion.
Gay, gay, gay. No straight woman that I know would fall for this hook.
Okay, off to the gym here.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (195)
- Gay Rights Epicenter Named Historic Site
- Straight vs. Gay: Getting Ready to Go Out
- The Kindest or Unkindest Cut?
- Straight Guy Style
- Gay/Straight Advice: Crushing on Best Friend
- You, Too, Dustin
- Congrats, Sean
- Gay / Straight Advice: Another Bro No-No
- Stimulus Package
- Tears and Tiaras for Gay Guys
- Blogosphere Buzz: Beard Head
- I Always Thought "Bros Before Hos" Was Kind of Gay...
- Not Carnevale, Not Mardi Gras. . . . It's. . . It'...
- Things That Make You Go Ughhh
- Pets Who Want To Kill Themselves
- For Better or Worse
- The Call of the Mini-Van
- Pepsi Max Poll
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Pepsi Max... More Straight ...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Gay Love Shaq?
- Nice to Meet You, Mr. Springsteen, But Around Here...
- Gay / Straight Advice Roundup
- Men of Austen: Not Zombies. Nor Gay, But British A...
- ▼ February (23)
- ► 2008 (148)