Last week, I heard an NPR news brief that the YMCA has decided to rebrand itself simply as the "Y." (Coincidentally, National Public Radio recently announced that it was rebranding itself simply as "NPR." I guess if that's what people usually call you anyway, you might as well go for it. FedEx certainly proved it works.)
YMCA said it was shedding "MCA" to better reflect its priorities of youth, community development and healthy living. I don't follow the argument. I'd get an argument that they want to de-emphasize "men," "Christian" and "Association" to show that the Y is for everyone, regardless of sex, religious affiliation or membership.
You knew it was inevitable: the Village People have weighed in with "dismay" over the name change. Read news coverage.
I think the band is taking this a bit too personally. It's not going to cut into their business.
Y or why not, "Y.M.C.A" will still be the workhorse not only of a Village People concert tour, but of every wedding, class reunion and bar mitzvah in America, if not worldwide. At least I hope so. I try to imagine a dance floor, filled with grandparents to preschoolers, arms angled out beside their heads forming a "Y" . . . and then silence, like a malevolent game of musical chairs.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Viral Vid: GI Jane (Austen) vs. Withering Romantic...
- Gee Whiz: A Loo with a View
- Gee Whiz: Do NOT Stop to Smell the Roses!
- Gay, Straight, or Something Else?: PBR in a Champa...
- Gay/Straight Update: Settling for a Prom Date
- Toddler Activates Parents' Gaydar. Time Out Requir...
- Ad Watch: Pamela Anderson's Meat Market
- Gee Whiz: Check Your Ego at this Men's Room in Que...
- Why ?. . . (M.C.A)
- Straight Guy Hall of Shame: 30 Days / 30 Dates
- Ad Watch: More Insults to My Manhood
- Gay Guy: "My World Cup Overfloweth"
- Ad Watch: Insulting Me Won't Help You Get My Organ...
- Viral Vid: "California Gays" -- It Was Inevitable
- Gay Guy Independence Day: Created Equal
- Straight Guy Public Service: Dirty Bikini Pictures...
- ▼ July (16)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)