In case you hadn't heard...
Remember the Mississippi girl who asked if she could bring a same-sex date to the senior prom? And the school district that would rather cancel the whole thing (and implicate her as the problem) than follow it's own non-discrimination policy?
Her classmates and the community chased her out of town and she finished the year at another school.
Well, now the district has settled the claim in her favor, for $35,000 plus lawyer's fees.
From the AP: "McMillen said she thinks the case resonated with so many people because 'prom is a common theme and everyone knows how it feels to want to go to prom. With my story, even if people didn't agree with being gay, they understood. They figured out how cruel some people can be.'"
She's headed off to college to study psychology and will use the cash to cover tuition costs... and hopefully a nice corsage.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Viral Vid: GI Jane (Austen) vs. Withering Romantic...
- Gee Whiz: A Loo with a View
- Gee Whiz: Do NOT Stop to Smell the Roses!
- Gay, Straight, or Something Else?: PBR in a Champa...
- Gay/Straight Update: Settling for a Prom Date
- Toddler Activates Parents' Gaydar. Time Out Requir...
- Ad Watch: Pamela Anderson's Meat Market
- Gee Whiz: Check Your Ego at this Men's Room in Que...
- Why ?. . . (M.C.A)
- Straight Guy Hall of Shame: 30 Days / 30 Dates
- Ad Watch: More Insults to My Manhood
- Gay Guy: "My World Cup Overfloweth"
- Ad Watch: Insulting Me Won't Help You Get My Organ...
- Viral Vid: "California Gays" -- It Was Inevitable
- Gay Guy Independence Day: Created Equal
- Straight Guy Public Service: Dirty Bikini Pictures...
- ▼ July (16)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)