Ad Watch: Pamela Anderson's Meat Market
Yes. Another entry in our "objectification for a cause" series. This time Pam Anderson asks us to go vegetarian, based on the specious claim that "all animals have the same parts." So not true.
Last week the city of Montreal banned the ad on the grounds that it was sexist and "goes against all principles public organizations are fighting for in the everlasting battle between men and women.” Thanks for playing right into PETA's hands, Montreal. Since then, the story (and the ad) have been picked up by multiple news outlets, and distributed to millions for free. [1,2,3]
PETA has used sex to sell the animal rights cause before, including the "I'd Rather Go Naked than Wear Fur" campaign, and having porn star spokespeople for their spay and neuter drives. Must be working for them. Their pro-tatoo/anti-fur campaign -- "Ink Not Mink" -- is also well-crafted and positioned. GG, Ladies, click here for some cause-based male objectification. Or heck, just see the whole media center here.
In this case, I'll grant that Pamela has achieved a certain notoriety based on her... parts. Still, c'mon PETA, no sense of irony in having a famously "enhanced" model out front on this? Eating factory butchered beef would be much safer (on a chemical level) than eating Pam Anderson. Did I just say that?
By the way, I'm not pro- or anti-PETA. It's a complex issue for me. I love my shelter dog. I also love omelets. Save the seals! Save me some barbecue sauce!
I'm active with the Humane Society. They do great work, and now that I think about it, they could probably sex it up a little.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Viral Vid: GI Jane (Austen) vs. Withering Romantic...
- Gee Whiz: A Loo with a View
- Gee Whiz: Do NOT Stop to Smell the Roses!
- Gay, Straight, or Something Else?: PBR in a Champa...
- Gay/Straight Update: Settling for a Prom Date
- Toddler Activates Parents' Gaydar. Time Out Requir...
- Ad Watch: Pamela Anderson's Meat Market
- Gee Whiz: Check Your Ego at this Men's Room in Que...
- Why ?. . . (M.C.A)
- Straight Guy Hall of Shame: 30 Days / 30 Dates
- Ad Watch: More Insults to My Manhood
- Gay Guy: "My World Cup Overfloweth"
- Ad Watch: Insulting Me Won't Help You Get My Organ...
- Viral Vid: "California Gays" -- It Was Inevitable
- Gay Guy Independence Day: Created Equal
- Straight Guy Public Service: Dirty Bikini Pictures...
- ▼ July (16)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)