Gay / Straight Flashback: Cheers' Boys in the Bar
Here's the last few minutes of a Cheers episode, way back from the first season.
One of Sam's old pro-baseball teammates has written a book and comes out of the closet. The regulars worry that the publicity will cause Cheers to be known as a gay bar. They've already tagged a few new customers as suspicious, and are taking matters into their own hands. But is their gaydar up to snuff?
Dated? Ahead of it's time? Somehow, both?
Here are links to the first two parts (1, 2), and a blog post from Ken Levine, the writer of the episode who'd still like to tweak that last joke. Must have been a tough episode to sell to the network in the early 80s.
UPDATE: They won an Emmy and a GLAAD award for the episode.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (195)
- Straight Guy Foodporn: Pimp My Burger Edition
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Youch
- Gaydar Signet-ure
- Gay Guy Sick
- Digi Dad Decision Makers
- I Like Guys
- Harrison Ford: (Don't) Take My Wife. Please.
- Gaydar Check Needed on Tailgate Party Antics
- Gay/Straight Comedy Debate: What Are You Laughing ...
- Straight Guy's Mix Tapes: Goodbye to You
- Gay/Straight Dessert Debate: Check Out Our Quads!
- Things Straight Guy Hates Immediately: The Sun Roa...
- Dog Days of Summer: Gay Guy Bites off More Than He...
- Go, Daddy, Go!
- Big Gay Ice Cream Truck
- Wake the Eff Up, Dagwood! A Continuing Saga...
- Straight Guy Hall of Shame: Wrong Tool for the Job...
- Back to the Blog
- Remembering John Hughes
- Gay / Straight Flashback: Cheers' Boys in the Bar
- I'm Grudgingly Acceptable. I Can Live with That.
- Must've Been a Beautiful Baby... But It's Gonna Co...
- ▼ August (22)
- ► 2008 (148)