Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Progressive or Subversive?

[click the web capture to enlarge if needed, or see the site live here.]

Gay Guy, just confirm this for me. Two casually posed 19th century gentlemen who are "ahead of their time," plus the "Progressive" headline = gays buy car insurance now. Right?

I'm not just a hopeless straight guy, am I? I don't speak Gay Latin, but this is it, right? It's what's unsaid that speaks the loudest.

I'd like to think that I'm ahead of my time, but now I'm not so sure. Bring me up to speed. If corporate America is about to begin producing gay marketing that only barely hints at the true demographic target, I'll have to start paying attention. (Although for a lower insurance premium I'll admit to about anything: "I only use it once a week to drive to Banana Republic and back.")

Or have I just been missing it for a while? Wait a minute, is that how I ended up with Kenneth Cole loafers?

Not that gays don't deserve the attention and any better deals that may come your way. Of all sexual orientation demographic groups, gay guys have the most disposable income. By far. And now you know that The Man is out to get it.

Am I the only one who remembers the less ambiguous Schmidt's Gay campaign?

--Straight Guy

No comments:

Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive