Our last post about fried mozzarella sticks served up inside a grilled cheese sandwich --yuck-- inspired a few comments about gay/straight food.
First, this link about deep fried beer, now available at the Texas State Fair. The beer goes inside a pocket of dough the size and shape of a ravioli, then it's deep-fried for about 20 seconds so that the beer retains its alcohol content. Its creator says it "tastes like you took a bite of hot pretzel dough then took a drink of beer."
I like beer and pretzels. But I like cold beer. How hot does the beer get while getting deep fried? I worry about biting into one of these pretzel pockets and hot liquid running out. Sounds like unstable engineering to me.
In my August 25 post about human breast milk cheese, I said I'd eat a piece of it just to say that I had done it. Ditto deep-fried beer. But I keep worrying about burning my lips on the beer.
I don't think any rationale straight man over age 25 consumes fried beer more than once, so my vote is that it is orientation neutral. It's about being Deep South frat boy, not about being straight.
A reader tipped us off to something that safely falls into the gay gourmet aisle. This summer, Del Monte brought out a popsicle in the shape of Daniel Craig coming out of the rolling waves as James Bond in Casino Royale. Classic. I'll tamp down all the obvious things that I could recite here. This is gay, we know it. But practical, too. If I burn my lips on the friend beer, I can soothe them with some frozen Daniel Craig.
SG, you and I both love David Mehnert's essay on queer food. It's a classic. You've posted it before, but our readership has grown so much that it bears a repost.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Viral Video: Funny or Die on Don't Ask Don't Tell
- Gay Guy Says: We're on TV, But We Rule Reality
- Ad Watch: Gay Shout Out to "Reservoir Dogs"
- Regret Me Not: "What Were People Thinking?"
- Hall of Badassery: They Can See My House From Ther...
- Gay Guy Query: Into Flip Flopping?
- Viral Video: Go, Daddy, Go
- My Friday Evening Post: Norman Rockwell
- Quiz: How Strong Are Your Austin Powers?
- Viral Video: Straight Guys Ruin Everything - Macho...
- Gay/Straight Advice: Tweedle-Glee and Tweedle-Glum...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Nobody Puts Baby Carrots in...
- Gay/Straight Cuisine: Any Queer in that Beer?
- Are Those Four Mozzarella Sticks in Your Sandwich ...
- ▼ September (14)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)