Summer Fashion Update: Trunk. Show.

Straight Guy,

Summer is upon us. I love summer. I love long warm days, lots of sunlight, dinner and drinks al fresco, morning coffee on the balcony, polo shirts and cargo shorts, and, especially, the beach

Alas, the beach means, well, the beach . . . which involves bathing suits. For me, bathing suits are terror-invoking. This is where straight men, at least in the minds of gay men, get off easy. Women can't possibly look at men with the same judgmental eye as another man. Maybe I'm wrong here. I know that women size up men, but it's not like they have a user's perspective. Don't women see body hair in awkward places and just assume there's nothing to be done? Gay men know differently.

I hadn't yet thought about what I'll look like in a bathing suit this summer. Fred Mertz came to mind. But, hope springs eternal. Then the this New York Times article pounced upon me and my innocence was lost.

--Gay Guy

6 comments:

Oddyoddyo13 said...

Yikes. Swimsuits.

Straight in Upstate said...

I don't know if this is what you meant, GG, but I'm more terrified of what's not covered by the trunks - the saddlebags and the dreaded man-boobs. I'm working on it for general reaons, but a less-humiliating beach experience by August (maybe...) would be a nice perk.

SteveA said...

Beach....summer...I am always a bit shy to take my short off and I usually wear board shorts. However I do dream of wearing those European man trunks - I have a blue pair but am not brave enough to wear 'em!

Anonymous said...

ooooo please no speedos,

gay girl

:0)

BosGuy said...

I hear you. In addition to my fixation about a softer mid-section than I care to admit - a cruel twist in family genetics also gave me my father's irish skin which knows only two colors - pastey white and lobster red. Neither helps to turn heads or make me feel comfortable when I'm beach or poolside...

kathryn said...

So, okay GG....so, do you have great legs? Hmmmmm??

Loved that article...that store owner sounds like a hoot. Sounds like he'll have a reality show in no time.

And you're correct, sweetie...if I see male body hair in awkward places, I think, "C'est la vie." We women only judge other women...

Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive