Today was an important day for gays in Washington, D.C. The capital, which in most ways functions like a state -- with some crazy, hard to explain, federal oversight, is allowing gay marriages. This morning, couples lined up at the city courthouse to apply for marriage licenses. Read an article and watch a video from the Washington Post.
It takes three full business days for D.C. to process a marriage license, so marriages won't begin to take place until next week, but I am encouraged, excited, humbled and share in the joy of the people captured in the video and more.
Seems like it all went smoothly, with just a few "Mourn for Your Sins" protesters, but that's to be expected.
I'm also encouraged that Chief Justice John Roberts refused to block the marriage applications. Opponents of the same-sex marriage law had asked the Supreme Court to put the law on hold. Roberts declined on behalf of the Court. Read the Post article.
I love the list of practical tips from the city's chief justice about keeping applying for a license smooth, which D.C.'s gay news site, DC Agenda, published. Read from DC Agenda.
The list includes: Be patient, be prepared (bring a completed application, bring your ID), and bring your money -- cash or money order, please. I love the mix of the mundane and the marvelous.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Wow! Tell me something I don't know
- Gay/Straight Viral Video: Second City PSA from the...
- Gay Guy Take on Dop Kit Essentials
- Gay Guy Feeling Shy(er) About His Basketball Dream...
- The Dop 5 Countdown
- Awww . . . . You Belong With Me
- Straight Guy Gift Guide: Remote Control + Bottle O...
- Gay/Straight Survey: Model Kit?
- Are Feathers and Fur Not Family Friendly?
- Gay Guy Loves a Good Bea Sting
- "Big Love" from Shirt Woot
- Gay/Straight Viral Video: Handsome Men's Club
- Waterslides + Zombies + Underwater Lanterns = Sexy...
- Straight Guy Hall of Shame: Risk vs. Reward
- Gay Guy's Sequined Sunday
- Gay/Straight Update: 4th Down and No. 5 To Go
- Big Gay Day in the Nation's Capital
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Truly, Madly, Deeply, Belat...
- ▼ March (18)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)