The Washington Post, The Huffington Post and other news sources have reporting that the Stars on Ice figure skating tour has decided not to sign skater Johnny Weir because, well . . . you figure it out. Read the Washington Post. Read the Huffington Post.
The tour issued a statement that it's not about "gender identity or sexual orientation." They just don't have room for everyone. No room at the rink, eh? Like the show can't get trimmed some place?
Weir says that the tour didn't include him because he's "not family friendly." What's not family friendly about sequins, feather, faux fur and a crown of roses? Evan Lysacek made the cut. Are his sequins just straighter?
Weir hasn't come out as gay, so we're all presuming here. Which makes this even harder to swallow.
The irony is that, if you go with the assumption, men's figure skating, in the Olympics or Holidays on Ice, has depended on gays. Is Weir just too over the top?
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Wow! Tell me something I don't know
- Gay/Straight Viral Video: Second City PSA from the...
- Gay Guy Take on Dop Kit Essentials
- Gay Guy Feeling Shy(er) About His Basketball Dream...
- The Dop 5 Countdown
- Awww . . . . You Belong With Me
- Straight Guy Gift Guide: Remote Control + Bottle O...
- Gay/Straight Survey: Model Kit?
- Are Feathers and Fur Not Family Friendly?
- Gay Guy Loves a Good Bea Sting
- "Big Love" from Shirt Woot
- Gay/Straight Viral Video: Handsome Men's Club
- Waterslides + Zombies + Underwater Lanterns = Sexy...
- Straight Guy Hall of Shame: Risk vs. Reward
- Gay Guy's Sequined Sunday
- Gay/Straight Update: 4th Down and No. 5 To Go
- Big Gay Day in the Nation's Capital
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Truly, Madly, Deeply, Belat...
- ▼ March (18)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)