The two public television stations in my area have been in fundraising campaigns, annoyingly at the same time. The deprivation is worse than just the lack of good TV, it's an active assault by bad TV.
Here's PBS' strategy: Put on lots of horrible programs that no one wants to watch, then interrupt frequently to implore you to give so that this kind of programming can stay on the air. Ack. PBS trots out wonders such as hours of off key, geriatric reunions of girl and boy groups from the 1950s, Andrea Boccelli singing and, worst, hours and hours of Celtic Woman. Not since the IRA hung up their guns has Ireland produced such terrorists as Celtic Woman.
Marketing the PBS way boggles my mind. Why not put on really good programming, then make the pitch that, with your help, fabulous shows like the one that you just watched, and NOT Celtic Woman, will continue to thrive?
SG, you know that I am wild for Masterpiece Mystery's new Sherlock Holmes series, which is set in contemporary London. Sleuthing was never so smart, sly, and sexy. Watch the shows or at least watch the trailers here.
There's nothing overtly gay about Holmes and Watson in this new series; indeed Holmes is played as pretty much asexual. But in each episode he flirts with Watson, which vexes the good doctor. A wink from Sherlock leaves me weak in the knees (see trailer one).
Here's my pitch: PBS: I am exactly who you are trying to reach. I watch you without paying for you. But, if you were to tell me that with my PBS membership I get special episodes of Sherlock with him sleuthing around in the Full Monty, I'll become a member. I promise.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Viral Video: Miracle on 22nd Street, from NYT
- Ho-Moe Outed: Too Personal a Personal?
- Raindrops on Roses and Soap on a Rope: GG/SG Favor...
- Further Fundraising Follies: To Friend or Not to F...
- Fundraising Folly: Gay Guy Advice for PBS
- Oh, There's a New Face at Home for the Holidays
- Benny and the Sweat
- Straight Guy Hall of Shame: Christian Pick-Up Tech...
- Bright Lights, Big Daddy
- Things Straight Guy Hates Immediately: Frou Frou C...
- Homogenius or Just Homo Just Above Average?
- Khaki Diaper Butt, Reddi Wip, Monkey Sex, and Self...
- Gay/Straight Advice: Wink, wink, nudge, nudge
- Product Watch: Dead Sexy
- ▼ December (14)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)