I know that you will protest, but I've been presented with yet another instance where straight men seem to have all the odds in their favor.
A friend and I went for a drink, and we stayed to watch some of the Super Bowl. Before you are overcome with surprise, it was a wine bar, we had a few Pinot Noirs, and the other folks there were quietly watching the game or chatting. No whooping.
Next to use were a trio of women, late 20s/early 30s. It was hard not to eavesdrop on their conversation; in fact, impossible. The most animated of the three went on in glowing terms about a guy she'd started to date. Her enthusiasm was contagious, so I leaned in.
"He . . he," she stammered earnestly enthusiastic. "He puts the seat down."
Wow, bathroom manners. Stunning.
I know my gay lens is an urban lens, but to be accomplished in the gay world, you need to look good, dress well, demonstrate that you get to the gym, and vacation well. So, in the straight world being toilet trained is all that it takes to sweep a girl off her feet?
Okay, being sarcastic. Sort of.
I guess two men don't have to squabble over seat up or down. After spending a summer sharing a house with six women, I put both the seat and the lid down, the gender neutral position.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Gay/Straight Update: You Prob'ly Think This Blog I...
- "You're Wearing That?" Gay Guy Olympic Outfit Guid...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Slave for Cigs
- Devil in the Details: Are These Eggs Gay, or Just ...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Feed the Diva
- Why is Dick Button Wearing a Flannel Shirt and Tru...
- It's Gonna Be OK, Just D-D-D-Dance
- Trojan Condoms: Clip, Save, and Power Up
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Superbowl Wrap-up
- Gay Guy Has Straight Guy Bathoom Envy?
- Gay Guy Turns His Nose at Stinky Trend?
- ▼ February (11)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)