Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Superbowl Wrap-up
Don't know if you caught the Superbowl this year. Great game, but the ads didn't measure up. There was some standard babe-jectification (1,2) but it seemed like less than usual, and there were a few witty spots, too. (1,2). I promise I'll soon put up another post about the recurring theme of non-svelte men and their tighty whitey briefs. You'll just have to wait, GG.
But there were also many clunkers on the topic of modern manhood... how we've been beaten down by our responsibilities and whipped by our relationships. Oh brother. I'm not going to say that life is easy for guys who choose to settle down with women (gasp!) and family (eek!), but I certainly wouldn't equate those choices to punishment... that's just shallow at best and misogynistic at worst. Yes, I'd say these new ads are harsher on women than the traditional beer/bikini concept ever was. Did Jim Nantz really suggest that we "change out of that skirt?" Did Dodge just compare the compromises of marriage to Custer's situation at Little Bighorn?
Dudes, if you ever feel that you've lost your mojo and/or cajones, please don't make the mistake of thinking that a pocket TV (nerd alert!), muscle car (compensate much?), and scented soaps (um, what?), are going to get you back on track... even if you try all three at once.
Is it surprising that the one ad that struck a hopeful note about relationships came from Google?
Oh, and in case you missed the news, here's the ad CBS declined to air. It promotes a dating site for gay men. Just so you know, Mad TV did a similar skit many years ago. What do you make of it, GG?
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Gay/Straight Update: You Prob'ly Think This Blog I...
- "You're Wearing That?" Gay Guy Olympic Outfit Guid...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Slave for Cigs
- Devil in the Details: Are These Eggs Gay, or Just ...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Feed the Diva
- Why is Dick Button Wearing a Flannel Shirt and Tru...
- It's Gonna Be OK, Just D-D-D-Dance
- Trojan Condoms: Clip, Save, and Power Up
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Superbowl Wrap-up
- Gay Guy Has Straight Guy Bathoom Envy?
- Gay Guy Turns His Nose at Stinky Trend?
- ▼ February (11)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)