Been feeling a bit under the weather for a week or so. Not ill, just tired and mopey. At 4 p.m. on Saturday, I found myself still in my pajamas, teeth and hair yet to be brushed, waiting for some heavenly inspiration to cut through the day's domestic disappointments (e.g., New Year's resolution No. 3: I will save money by ironing my shirts for work and not using the dry cleaners . . . now that stack of unironed shirts is getting high).
Heavenly inspiration did arrive. Via PBS.
You and everyone else knows how much I love those damn period dramas on PBS. "Upstairs, Downstairs" as a tot, "Brideshead Revisited" as a young man, I am all in with those fab locations and big hats. I've been looking forward the new series "Downton Abbey," but missed episode one. Late in my mopey Saturday afternoon, I discovered that episode one was available on the PBS site.
Suddenly my day was brighter, my time and energy organized for me: Gotta get a recipe going, get to the grocery store, and get dinner in and out of the oven so I can put the laptop on my lap and get watching. My afternoon had a purpose.
Downton Abbey did not disappoint.
Let me say it now: I knew that Thomas the footman was trouble from the second I put my eyes on him.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- Gay Guy Sinks Into Sports Stereotype? Go Figure.
- Sports Watch: Don't Lutz, Don't Tell
- Product Watch: Oh No, They Didn't... Oh Yes, They ...
- Product Watch: Straight Guy Eats Luna Bars, Lives ...
- Product Watch: Fabulous, But Not Fat Free
- Period Drama. Drama. Period.
- Gift to Gay Guy... Law and Order: UK
- Let's Get Physical. The Pre-K Version
- Things Straight Guy Hates Immediately: Voice Print...
- Gay Guy Embraces La Dolce Vita Head On
- ▼ January (10)
- ► 2010 (195)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)