Just checking in. Bravo on your recent posts. Excellent stuff.
Gay Guy is spending a few days with his parents to celebrate Mother's Day. Awww. I know, sweet. I was due for a visit, and it is the perfect time. So, here I am, right where I began, where I lived until I left for college.
Whenever I visit "home," as I still call it, I wonder what my life would have been like if I had stayed here. I don't know that I planned or decided to go to college and keep going, but I knew that I was "from" here, not "of" here. Even as a child I knew my destiny was to be over-taxed, over-crowded, and anonymous as a trade-off for being one of the city-dwelling, theater-going, late-night-tuxedo-wearing-martini-guzzling-one-line-zinging guys I watched in a string of classic black and white 40s movies. So far I've achieved over-taxed and gin-guzzling.
So, who would I be if I lived the small town life? Would I be out? Out would be tough. This town has a population of about 5,000, so it's not exactly a speck on the map, but the last man who set off my gaydar was the flight attendant with chunky silver jewelry.
Yes, I know, there must be some of my peeps around here. And, it's not like I am looking to hang out or hook up. I'm just want to know what their lives are like, and I'm just wondering if I would be the "bachelor next door" or have faked it with a wife, kids, and lawn mower.
Readers, I know from reading our daily blog stats that many of you are from small towns -- in the U.S. and elsewhere. Do any of you have something to say about gay life in small towns?
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Letter to Gay Guy: What ?"Iron Man 2" Not a Possib...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Freaky Hitler Edition
- Ad Watch: Straight Guys Ruin Everything!, Episode ...
- Bridging the Gay/Straight Divide: Badass Rainbows!...
- Gay/Straight Update: Sex and the City
- Gay Guy's Fashion Note: Hot Pink is NOT the New Bl...
- Broadway Bathrooms Ain't Got No Potty Parity
- If at First You Don't Succeed, Fail, Fail Again
- Straight Guy Badassery Awards: Alabama Edition
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Super Sexy CPR
- Grandma Has 'No Regrets': Gay Guy/Straight Guy Reg...
- Straight Kid: Innocence Lost
- Gay/Straight Update: Click Your Stilettos Three Ti...
- Gay/Straight Viral Video: Ga Ga for GaGa
- Gift Guide: Strike a Pose
- If You Lived Here, You'd Be Straight By Now
- Things Straight Guy Hates Immediately: ABC's What ...
- Gay/Straight Humanitarian Alert: Trim Your Hedges,...
- That Was the Week That Wasn't
- ▼ May (19)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)