Grandma Has 'No Regrets': Gay Guy/Straight Guy Regret Musical Divide
I've fallen behind on watching Britain's Got Talent, but someone tipped me onto last week's smash audition by Janey Cutler. Cutler, age 80, mother of 7, grandmother of 12, and great-grandmother of 4, needed some help finding her marks on stage, but her voice had no problem finding the back wall of the theater with a full-bore performance of "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien." (That's "No Regrets" for you English speakers.) Go to YouTube to watch Cutler's performance.
I loved it: the song itself, Janey's full, big voice and her equally large pluck, and mostly that she's just doing her thing. Who needs regrets when you're 80?
"No, Je Ne Regrette Rien" was made famous by the iconic French chanteuse Edith Piaf, called the "Little Sparrow." (If I sound pedantic, it's because I know you have no clue who Edith Piaf is.) I wouldn't call Piaf a gay icon, but my people get drawn to songs like those she made famous. The sorrow and the resilience. The "better to have loved and lost" attitude. Watch a 1962 live performance of Piaf singing "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien."
I get weary of the too fucking tragic to live stories of Piaf, Garland, Monroe. . . but they had amazing talent. The wrist slashing gets to be too much. Setting up this post, I've listened to Cutler's performance posted on YouTube at least a half dozen times and listened to 10 or more Piaf clips to find the best one. My neighbors probably think I've had a "break up/break down" weekend.
So, Straight Guy: Janey Cutler, feisty granny or big lunged hoot? What's you vote?
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Letter to Gay Guy: What ?"Iron Man 2" Not a Possib...
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Freaky Hitler Edition
- Ad Watch: Straight Guys Ruin Everything!, Episode ...
- Bridging the Gay/Straight Divide: Badass Rainbows!...
- Gay/Straight Update: Sex and the City
- Gay Guy's Fashion Note: Hot Pink is NOT the New Bl...
- Broadway Bathrooms Ain't Got No Potty Parity
- If at First You Don't Succeed, Fail, Fail Again
- Straight Guy Badassery Awards: Alabama Edition
- Gay/Straight Ad Watch: Super Sexy CPR
- Grandma Has 'No Regrets': Gay Guy/Straight Guy Reg...
- Straight Kid: Innocence Lost
- Gay/Straight Update: Click Your Stilettos Three Ti...
- Gay/Straight Viral Video: Ga Ga for GaGa
- Gift Guide: Strike a Pose
- If You Lived Here, You'd Be Straight By Now
- Things Straight Guy Hates Immediately: ABC's What ...
- Gay/Straight Humanitarian Alert: Trim Your Hedges,...
- That Was the Week That Wasn't
- ▼ May (19)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)