CIL Paints, which might be the Benjamin Moore of Canada, has just launched a line of paints for men. Manly men, to be specific.
Don't worry. The colors are the same, but the names have changed, so that dudes will feel more comfortable. See the chart at right: Their pea green hue "Juliet's Potion" becomes "Zombie Apocalypse," for example.
Here's the logic from the company spokesperson:
“When it comes to paint names, it’s all about the emotional connection and our research shows that men and women tend to relate to paint names differently...
Studies show that while a larger percentage of women tend to choose paint colours for their home, it’s often men who give the colours a final nod...
We’ve had the occasional person who thought it was a little bit condescending. But I’ve yet to see a funny ad campaign that is thrilling to 100% of the world.” LINK
Whatever. This paint naming game has always been hackneyed and condescending. I work in design, give me a numerical PMS code or RGB percentage breakdown any day. Keep your "Stormy Seas" and "Beer Foam" system, please.
And honestly, it's probably better to stick with natural tones, folks. I've been in a number of over-painted houses lately. Let's all chill out on the brightly colored "highlight walls."
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- Gee Whiz: Insert Joystick Joke Here
- Outside it is winter. But in here it's so hot.
- Boyz n the Hoodie?
- Ad Watch: Benetton Presidential Face Mashing
- Things Straight Guy Hates Immediately: Paint Color...
- And Then This Happened...
- These Bitchy Words Are a Few of My Favorite Things...
- Gay Guy Asks: Are You Stacked Against Me?
- In the Genes? Gay Penguins Need to Collect Their S...
- ▼ November (9)
- ► 2010 (195)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)