What happened to sweatshirts?
I don't mean style, color or availability. I mean what happened to the "hooded sweatshirt" or "sweatshirt with a hood." It's all "hoodies" now.
Lest you think I live under a rock, I've heard of "hoodies." My nieces asked for hoodies for Christmas a few years ago and confirmed my suspicion about what a hoodie was. All good.
I was doing some online clothes browsing for myself this week and saw that more than one site had "hoodies" in the men's section.
Ick. Real men don't wear hoodies. Real men wear sweatshirts with hoods. When did a hoodie become something an adult man would wear?
My reaction surprises and bothers me. Being gay means a daily bumping up against what men are "supposed" to be/wear/say/do/want. There's some traditional straight guy stuff that I adopt and some that I reject. Why does "hoodie" sound like something that should not be worn by a man. I'm not a hoodie hater, I also was grossed out by a decade-long run of men's tank tops with straps that were dangerously close to make it a camisole top.
Shouldn't clothes go over my skin, not get under it?
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- Gee Whiz: Insert Joystick Joke Here
- Outside it is winter. But in here it's so hot.
- Boyz n the Hoodie?
- Ad Watch: Benetton Presidential Face Mashing
- Things Straight Guy Hates Immediately: Paint Color...
- And Then This Happened...
- These Bitchy Words Are a Few of My Favorite Things...
- Gay Guy Asks: Are You Stacked Against Me?
- In the Genes? Gay Penguins Need to Collect Their S...
- ▼ November (9)
- ► 2010 (195)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)