Frankly, I would have prefered a Day WITH a Gay
I got a little behind in my blogging this week. Thanks for carrying the load.
I'd like to attribute my lack of editorial output to my participation in this week's "Day Without a Gay," but I can't. For those who don't know --and that includes most gay people-- Day Without a Gay was an effort, in the mission of its organizers:
". . . to shift our strong feelings about injustice toward service! Let's fight for equality by out-loving those who would deny us rights. Call in "gay" on December 10th (International Human Rights Day) and volunteer for your local LGBT and/or human rights organizations."
It pretty much flopped. Perhaps a good idea, not so much on execution.
The day slid under my radar. And, I don't need to call in gay. My brand of activism is going into work and reminding people that gays are everywhere. My other role in the office is to remind my straight male colleagues that Dockers bring down the work place.
Wanda Sykes used "Day Without a Gay" in her Tonight Show appearance. If you haven't seen it, definitely watch it. She delayed her entrance on stage by 10 or 15 seconds to give Jay a taste of what it would be like if she wasn't there. She then moved on to some insightful words about California's Prop 8, the issue that brought her out of the closet. Love you, Wanda.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (195)
- ► 2009 (267)
- Closing the Books on 08
- Gay / Straight Advice: Put-Down or Pick-Up?
- Toot-Toot-Tootsie, Oh My!
- Merry Christmas and Miss Kitt to You
- I'm Just a Broadway Baby
- Gay / Straight Holiday Gift Guide
- Zombie Guy / Porta Guy
- I Hear it Tastes Like Chicken
- Frankly, I would have prefered a Day WITH a Gay
- Crazy with a 'Z'
- Coming to the Seat of Power
- Straight Boy Cootie Alert!
- The Nutmeg Puns Are in the Song, Not this Headline...
- GG/SG vs. The World
- Double Dipping in a Pool of Indulgence
- All-Star Prop 8 Musical
- Pinky Tuscadero Rides Again!
- Straight / Gay Holiday Humor
- ▼ December (18)