Another Unconvincing Performance

Straight Guy,


Yesterday, I found out that any hope that I created a buzz among the gay men at that party last week has come to an amusing end.

To recap: Last week, my friend Bee took me (to the point of dragging me) with her to a friend's party. She sold the party hard. Hosted by a guy she knows who is cute, bright, appealing, and gay with cute, bright, appealing, and gay friends. (He has a boyfriend, so he's not an object of intrigue.)

After some stalling, I started to look forward to the party. (I'm feeling pretty out-of-sorts romantically these days and am reacting by being a hermit.) Bee's helping by encouraging me to get out and met interesting people.

Anyway, I thought the party went well. I talked to some interesting people, had fun, exchanged smiles with a few attractive guys. Bee assured me that guys were checking me out (I can never tell). A success all around, right?

Here's yesterday's e-mail from Bee: "Bad news. The gay party didn't know you were gay. Next time, I am introducing you, leaving you, and making you wear a t-shirt that says 'Out of the Closet.'"

G
ays not convinced I'm gay? Are you kidding me? Was there a gaydar power outage? It's not Bee and I introduced ourselves as more than good friends. I just assumed that it was all out there to folks.

Funny, eh? Like all gay men, I have spent more than a little time wondering what passing for straight might be like. This can be a crippler for some guys. It's a real struggle, this question of being sufficiently masculine or at least not being "too gay." I don't stress so much any more. I'm no manly man, so I've just learned to minimize the liquor intake and keep my wrists in my pockets.

So, ironies of ironies, I need to try harder to convince my people that I am one of their people.

--Gay Guy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it Bee's fault that are you so full of intrigue and mystery that even the gay men do not know what to make of you??

Perhaps it was that your friend, Bee, is so fabulous, that her fabulosity was blinding the boys to yours. Since she informed you of the misidentification, I can guarantee there is buzz about you now....

Anonymous said...

Bee IS for fabulous! I am happy that I went and grateful that she asked me to come with her. I had blast with her. She's much better at parties than I am.

Anonymous said...

Vielen Dank, gute Arbeit! Dies war das Zeug, das ich hatte zu haben.

Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive