Bronies - Grown Men and Fans of "My Little Pony"
Last month, the Underwire blog at Wired.com ran a feature on the men who love My Little Pony. LINK
Yes, My Little Pony. The comb-able collectables for little girls launched by Hasbro in the 1980s. These dudes follow the adventures of Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Twilight Sparkle. And they have no shame about it.
Quote: "So, why the breathless adoration? Some fans say the show’s appeal lies in good illustration, excellent characters or, as Allen put it, a 'perfect storm of ’80s nostalgia and cultural irony.'"
They are talking about the newest incarnation of the show, which is spun from the mind of Lauren Faust, the creator of the "Powerpuff Girls," which also found an audience larger than the target market. Here's her take on the Pony phenomenon: "“The fact that ... they were open-minded and cool enough and secure in their masculinity enough to embrace it and love it and go online and talk about how much they love it — I’m kind of proud.”
Not sure where this blog post goes from here. How can I ridicule and celebrate these guys at the same time? Readers?
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- Checking In... About Checking Out
- Boys Do Cry: 'The Champ' Takes Title as Saddest Mo...
- Fashion Watch: Too Hot and Not Cool
- Things Straight Guy Hates Immediately: The Steve B...
- Update To Yesterday's Post: Bachmann Pinging Multi...
- Media Watch: Daily Show's Jon Stewart on Michelle ...
- Bronies - Grown Men and Fans of "My Little Pony"
- Ad Watch: Hugh Gets Skin Like Dew
- Media Watch: Dirty Minds Think Alike
- Media Watch: Steve Martin and Alec Balwin Gay Marr...
- Ad Watch: Gay Ads to Watch
- ▼ July (11)
- ► 2010 (195)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)