More than 7,000 fans want to see Bert and Ernie come out and get hitched. Here's a clip from last week's petition on change.org:
"They [kids] need to know that acceptance of their fellow human beings would indeed plant a seed of peace that will reverberate throughout the world. We are not asking that Sesame Street do anything crude or disrespectful. Only that they allow Bert & Ernie to marry or even add a transgender character to the show. It can be done in a tasteful way. Let us teach tolerance of those that are different."
Here's Sesame Street's formal response:
"Bert and Ernie are best friends. They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves. Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics (as most Sesame Street Muppets™ do), they remain puppets, and do not have a sexual orientation."
That seems about right to me. Besides, the wider Muppet family is full of variety, including the sexual kind. I guess that includes Gonzo's chicken fetish. In fact, we reported on openly gay Muppets in one our early posts (Mr. Piggy is a Diva, Too). But that show (Logo's Tinseltown) went nowhere.
Besides, who wants to see a "tasteful" wedding on Sesame Street? That's not how it works. Let's see Cookie Monster attack the wedding cake, and Grover as the worst server in the catering crew.
Gay Guy / Straight Guy Archive
- ► 2012 (32)
- Viral Video: But Would I Still Respect Myself in t...
- Viral Video: Foo Fighters Hot Buns
- News of the Week
- GG|SG Advice Week: It Gets Better
- GG|SG Advice Week: Tweedle-Glee and Tweedle-Glum
- AnothER Good Straight Guy
- GG|SG Advice Week: Thanks for Sharing
- GG|SG Advice Week: The Massage to Nowhere
- Bert and Ernie Are Just Friends!
- Gay/Straight Viral Video: John Stamos' Guide to Cu...
- Things Straight Guy Hates Immediately: Cosmo for M...
- Ad Watch Update: SoBe, Surfrider, Chill Milk, Dure...
- ▼ August (12)
- ► 2010 (195)
- ► 2009 (267)
- ► 2008 (148)