I Reserve the Right to Exclude "Liza with a 'Z'"

Readers,

We've had some great posts about the Out's "100 Greatest, Gayest Albums of All Time": Where's Priscilla, Queen of the Desert? Isn't gay music about male/male love?

As a reminder, to make the list, Out writes that it "polled more than 100 actors, comedians, musicians, writers, critics, performance artists, label reps, and DJs, asking each to list the 10 albums that left the most indelible impressions on their lives." So, there's gay and straight performers; I guess it's really the top "Greatest/Gayest People of All Time and What They Listen To" list.


A short and indulgent list of music that has made the greatest impression on/been the most relevant in my life AND has gay content?
  • B52s, Cosmic Thing
  • Tracy Chapman, Self Titled
  • Everything But the Girl, Amplified Heart
  • Joe Jackson, Night and Day
  • Pet Shop Boys, Discography
The top of the list:

• Priscilla, Queen of the Desert soundtrack

• Patsy Cline, 12 Greatest Hits

• Gayest, greatest of all time? I'd have to advocate for Erasure, The Innocents. Gay men singing about gay love.

• And,
Bronski Beat. Age of Consent. Political AND danceable.

--Gay Guy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for recognizing Priscilla. While I've never belted out "The Man That Got Away", I have tortured myself with Patsy's Greatest Hits after a bad breakup. Lemon juice in a papercut...

Anonymous said...

OMG. Priscilla.....I haven't seen that in a decade. Every girl and gay boy deserves a bus decked out with a shoe on top.